Monday, May 1, 2006

Hectic Daze

This morning began unlike any other morning I've had here, in Kelowna. My parents, being out of town, entrusted their dog to me. Millie, she is called. I had to get up, and out of bed, about six hours after I went to sleep. I had to walk her by 7:30AM. That's early. I was less than impressed, especially considering she kept me up late last night, what with the puking of her own poo onto our formerly nice carpet. The good news is that I got to wear a bandana across my face, like a bank robber or a cowboy from the 50's. I felt like a man.

So anyways, instead of going back to sleep, as I thought I would upon the return to the house, I decided to eat some cereal. Then the game's over. I was going to be awake for sure now, there would be no going back to sleep.

This would prove to be a good choice.

Soon afterwards, the following events occured. I received a phone call from my old English teacher's son, who heard I was looking for work at Costco and had an "in" for me, if I left immediately and went to the Costco bakery. I finished watching my episode of "Scrubs", and then did. I scheduled an interview for tomorrow at noon. Upon the return to my house, I made and ate lunch. I then made two phone calls, one returning a call from The Grand Hotel about a job interview, but sadly both times there was no answer, though I left a message. I then called my old work, The Greenery, and asked/wondered if there would be any work for me for the next couple of weeks, perhaps longer. I said I might need something until I find a job that will last me for the whole summer, not just until the end of June.

I start tomorrow morning at 8.

I then got in contact with an old friend from Kelowna, and found out he was moving today. I asked if he needed any help, and he said sure. So I emptied my truck (oh yeah, I have a truck. Next post will be ALL about my POSCOB) of rather large, useless, and extremely heavy objects (seriously, I think they had a metal door in there.. it was effin' heavy.. like, 200-250lbs, easily). Why have I been draggin this trash around in the back of my truck? I don't know.. I really don't know.. Anyways, I emptied it all out, drove and got $20 worth of gas (my food money while my parents were gone - who needs to eat?) which filled it up from just below 3/4 empty to just below 1/2. Oh boy. This is going to be an expensive vehicle. I drove the 10 minutes to their house, and filled the truck and other vehciles with random stuff. People that don't pack/move organized make me crazy. We then drove the 25 minute drive ALL the way across town, where we unloaded. I then drove the 20 minutes home.

So, here I am, tired at 10:00 because I didn't get much sleep last night, buzzed because I'm going to work (which I haven't been to in years) again tomorrow, and bored because the stupid hockey game isn't exciting.

I don't even like hockey.

I wish my house didn't smell like poop.

My lunch break tomorrow is going to be an interview at Costco.

G'night.

2 comments:

Michael LaRoy said...

Costco? I worked there last summer in the "service deli." It's only tough to get in because they hire twice a year - for summer, and for Christmas seasons. Usually the seasonal workers (like me, for instance) might be asked to stick around after the season, working part-time (although you're likely working full-time hours) so they don't have to give you the benefits of a "full-time" employee. This might take time. But there's no possible way to be full-time unless you've been part-time, same goes for that unless you've been seasonal. They hire from the bottom, people work their way up.

Anyways, good luck with that one. You just might enjoy it. If it's the bakery you might be "in" on, it'll smell delightful all day long. Though you might have to start by 5 am.

alan.schram said...

Thanks for the info, Mike.

I think I have a better chance with the bakery job, but neither are guarranteed. This is the frustrating part - the waiting. Meanwhile, I have an interview I can go to at The Grand Hotel - except they're jerks, the job is security, and I don't think they know I'm 19 with dreads. A 5 star hotel probably won't hire me to safeguard their hotel from stoners, druggies, and the like. =/