Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Cashier

So yesterday morning, at 7AM, I started being trained to be a cashier for Costco. Rather hectic. We were given these "manuals". 70 pages of what buttons to press for what, the theory behind the button pressing, and other philosphical information regarding the process of being a cashier. I was the only person to actually read the whole thing. Our training was lead by a person who had never done training before, and that was probably for good reason. She's not a teacher.

Anyways, after three hours of being told to do so much paperwork that we won't get accused of stealing $1500 and subsequently fired, we started actually cashing. It was difficult at first, to find the rhythm of the thing.

Need their Costco membership card. Scan the card. Scan the items. If some are for resell or tax exempt, press the resale button once to turn it on, and again to turn it off. If you have to do this, must fill out blue form. Payment in either cash, debit, or American Express. All three methods of payment require different actions from myself. Don't forget to give them their receit (which they need to get out the door) and their Costco card back.

Meanwhile, be sure to engage the member properly, greet them nicely, and make sure they're not scamming us with someone else's Costco card or credit card.

It's hard to get the rhythm of all that down, and process a member per minute. The "MPH" might suffer otherwise. Members per hour. Gotta keep it up or else the head office will call and say "wtf, warehouse #59?", and that we certainly don't want.

So I ended up cashing for about half an hour before they pulled me to let someone faster take over things. That happened three times that day, so about 1.5 hours of cashing experience. Knowing Costco, I'll be on my own today, cashing with only a seasonal as a packer. Meaning - screwed.

Oh boy.

This'll be fun.

3 comments:

Michael LaRoy said...

good luck my friend, good luck.


ps - my warehouse is better than your warehouse (well actually, probably not)

Have fun!

alan.schram said...

You have a Costco warehouse? Which one? Mine's #59, and we raised $40k for the BC Children's Hospital. ^_^

ChrisTopher said...

Cashiering is fun. I kind of miss it at times from when I worked at the liquor store. Days always went by fast when I was a cashier...