Saturday, October 28, 2006

Suddenly I Feel Grown Up

The last seven days have been exceedingly interesting ones. There have been large decisions that I have made that will affect what's going to happen over the next weeks, months, maybe even years of my life. They come in two varieties.

The first is work related. I've been working at CBC as the "Parking Attendant", meaning that two or three times a week I check the Visitor parking lot to make sure students aren't parking there. Technically, there's a bit more to the process, but that's essentially it. It amounts to 1-1.5 hours of work per week, at minimum wage. Alright! That's a potential earning of $32 a month! Anyways, I could find a way to make more work for myself there, but I don't see the point and simply don't have the motivation.

Closer to the beginning of the year I was hanging out with some new friends. One of them, Ashley Harrison, picked up on the fact that I was pseudo looking for work. She told me to apply at one of her places of business, Linens and Things. I told her to get me an application. I figured I would throw a resume at them, more for entertainment purposes than actually desiring to work with a bunch of middle-aged women folding sheets. On Wednesday Ashley finally got around to getting me an application. I had some time, so I filled it out, whipped off a resume and went to hand it in. I gave it to one of their managers there, Ed. I was expecting him to take my application and then tell me that they'd call if they were interested. Instead, he told me to come in the next day for an interview with their Human Resource manager, Bob. Ed and Bob. Great manager names.

So Thursday I went in for an interview. This guy wasn't even aware of the fact that there was going to be an interview. He was confused. He then couldn't find my resume, and had to ask a bunch of people where Ed might've put it, found Ed, found the resume, the interview began. I was thinking "gong show" in my head the whole time. Clearly this guy wasn't in a hiring mood. Then the interview began. Quite frankly, the guy was all over me. Not sexually, as one person suggested when I mentioned such, but he sure wanted me to work there. They needed "more men" (not to be sexiest, he said, "but, yeah...") to work at Linens and Things, specifically in the back unloading trucks, playing with boxes, climbing stuff, moving stuff, etc. The general "be-a-man-in-a-woman's-store" type-biz. He kept describing how great a workplace it was, how fun it was to work there, and the great people that work there. Then he said if I liked how it sounded, the job was mine. So I took it.

I start Tuesday. I work at "Linens & Things". I am such a man.

In other news, last Saturday I spent the day with a girl. Her name is Lori. She's a first-year (yeah yeah, boo me all you want, she's 21. A year OLDER than me!) at CBC, in the OL program. I told her I liked her. She told me she liked me. It was awesome.

So yeah. Stuff's happening, and it's neat, and exciting, and now I have to be old and repsonsible and like, do stuff right. Properly. It's weird. I like it.

Whee! /schoolgirl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

allen, you lucky dog. none of the first year girls like me (darn). i am getting a bit of notice from the 2nd years this year, though.

alan.schram said...

I'm almost impressed by your ability to ignore the spelling of my name as it stands at the top of the blog.

Almost.

And you just don't know if they like you or not yet. You gotta like them first, and then tell them that. Then they may, or may not, respond in kind.

Anonymous said...

alan, you and me, need a debrief on your life as of late. i am very interested in your whereabouts and details of things contained in your blog. loves.

Anonymous said...

aka, that was amanda. the end.