Thursday, March 8, 2007

Life. A General Update.

I'm still going to school. Columbia Bible College, to be precise. This semester I am taking:
Biblical Preaching
New Testament Theology
Timothy and Titus
Rock, Faith, and Pop Culture
Environmental Issues.

This semester I learned how to create a "sermonic sentence" by reducing a biblical text to one key idea the author was trying to get across. I also am going to learn how to teach for 35 minutes a biblical text to a class. I learned about liberal scholars, and their views on the divinity of Christ. I listened to music from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, including The Who and Pink Floyd. I learned that "environmental" has an 'n' before the 'm'.

I am still dating Lori Kuepfer. She just got back from a week long (10 days..?) trip to New Mexico to go caving with the Outdoor Leadership program. She had an excellent time and a wonderful adventure. Coming back the wheel on their van/bus fell off and her return was delayed, which saddened me and her as well. We wished to be reunited. It is odd when you become so used to someone being there that you're life completely changes when they're not. I was single again for a number of days, which was an odd sensation. Lori really didn't like it. This summer is going to be interesting.

This one time, I wrote a blog where I bolded certain words, and italics others. If you read just the bold words, they spell a sentence. If you read just the italics, they spell another sentence. I thought it was quite brilliant, and I hoped someone would catch on. They didn't. It is a lot of work, and I gave up on doing it more than once, but it may come again some day.

This weekend I will be taking Lori back to my house in Kelowna for the first and last time. My parents just sold the place, and are going to be making an offer on a house in Summerland. They'll be moving sometime in May. I won't be back in Kelowna after this weekend. That's an odd sensation, but one that is so far distant that it is merely a tickle on the back of my brain. It is not yet real, and it won't be until I see the new house, live in it, and a significant period of time elapses. Then, perhaps, I will recognize that the room I grew up in is now inspiring a younger generation. The tree I climbed will have smaller hands on its branches, and the driveway I walked will welcome new shoes. So this weekend I'm going to show Lori who I was, for years. Perhaps that will help her understand who I am now, and who I will become. I will show her my elementary school, and where my friends used to live. I will show her my former place of employment, and my high school. I will introduce her to my friends, and she will become a part of my past, in the hopes that she will continue to be a part of my future.

This summer I'm hoping to enroll in "Suicide Hebrew"; six credits in six weeks. I hope to fly to Ontario to visit Lori. I hope to work at Camp Qwanoes on Vancouver Island. I hope to live my life with integrity. I hope to finish this semester strong. I hope to return to CBC refreshed, full of questions about how my summertime ministry interacted with the theology taught by my professors in blank rooms. I hope that I will earn enough money to be able to afford to eat next year. Next month. Next week. I hope I blog more often, I hope I get more work done, and I hope I stop staying up so late at night, because I'm so tired in the morning. I hope I start enacting the changes I've wanted to see done for so long now. I hope I stop being so lazy. I hope I can break the addiction to CounterStrike, even though I love it dearly.

2 comments:

Adam said...

last year i took this one girl to my hometown, and i took her to every place i ever wanted to take a girl as a boy, but never had the chance.

hmm. on a positive note, it made me love where i came from, and where i'm going. tell me how it goes.

Anonymous said...

i wrote my first single in your livingroom.