Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Obsure Reference to a Bob Dylan Song

Tonight I was reading over my old blog entries. A blog that a friend had written reminded me of something that I had written in the past, so I went searching for it. While I was unsuccessful in finding that particular entry (if it even exists) I instead got the chance to re-read what I had written two years ago. It doesn't seem like I've been blogging for that long, but apparently I have.

I wrote better then, not to mention more consistently.

I found a number of themes that arose in my numerous blogs. One was cynicism and sarcasm, which pervaded every entry with startling force. It is not like all my entries were "woo is me" emo rants, far from it. Some of my blogs were laced with hope for the future. Others were filled with observations of the world's hidden beauty. I don't know how much I've changed in this fashion. I believe that in the past couple of years I've become more knowledgeable about the world, how it works, and humanities relationships with each other. This information hasn't managed to stifle my scathing rebuke of current social conditions. At the same time, this information has also provided me with a wonder for the world only matched by the first time that I saw a butterfly take flight.

Another theme was women, and oh my.. the times they are a changin'.

A lot changes when you go from being single to being in a committed exclusive relationship. I suppose my entry called "My War on Dating" wasn't as "victorious" as George W's war on terror. No, instead my whole viewpoint towards women has changed. I don't know what it was then, and I don't know what it is now. Perhaps one day I'll sit and attempt to sort out in my head exactly who I believe Lori to be, but that question is so huge that I can't comprehend the implications while procrastinating writing yet another paper.

One thing that hasn't changed is my thoughts on the eyes of a woman. I wrote once, "Anyways, throughout my years I have met many an eye, some blue, some brown, some green. I hope my wife's eyes will someday be more beautiful than any I have ever seen". That much is still true for me. To be perfectly honest (and that is what blogs are for, some would argue) Lori's eyes are the most beautiful I've ever seen. It is not because of their particular pattern (though magnificent) or their color (sometimes brown, sometimes green, depending on the lighting/the color of her shirt/how drunk I am). I'd say it is mostly because of the way that they look at me. When she looks into my eyes she knows me for who I am, and she's willing to keep looking there because she sees something beautiful. Sometimes for the life of me I cannot figure out what that is, but I trust that what she sees truly exists, and for that reason alone I can love her.

No comments: