Monday, May 8, 2006

A Moment In My Life....



So there I was, standing ontop of a palet of cardboard, when Christina walks into the box room.

Christina is one of the cashier girls that works at The Greener with me. She's different from all the other cashier girls because, well, she's a girl. Not an aged woman. Thus, she gets extra points in my books. Easier to talk to, flirt with, you know. Now, Christina is also off limits, which I am ok with. She's Stephen's boyfriend, who happens to be the guy I work with the closest. So, whenever it's breaktime or lunch time, they're always together, and I'm working. We can't have breaks at the same time, because we cover each other (z1 - countstrike command "cover me".. ), you know? So, it's hard for me to get to know Christina because, well, I never have the chance to talk to her. Except like, when I go to bring her till boxes, and I'll make some comment about the weather or something. She seemed pretty nice, but something was always off whenever we weren't talking. She wouldn't smile. Ever. Or look mad. Or anything, actually. I then determined that she was, in fact, expressionless.

So I was working away, making sweet boxes using my stapler from the palets of unmade boxes, making them into many multiples of stacks of sweet boxes for cashing use. I ran out of unmade boxes to make, so I had to go to the last palet in the line to get some more. There were two stacks there, one ontop of another. So I climbed up on one stack to get to the top one, and Christina walked in. She didn't have any emotion displayed on her face. She bent over to grab some boxes and that's when I said,

"Hey, has anyone ever told you that you're expressionless?"

Yeah. It just popped out of my mouth.

She sort of stopped, startled, and put the boxes back down. She stood up, turned to look at me and said in reply,

"You try being a model for two years and see if you have any expression."

'nuff said. I sort of grunted, shocked, and mumbled something adequate in reply. She took her boxes and left, and I sort of stood up there, four and a half feet higher than I'm supposed to be, contemplating.

She returned and we talked for a bit, from that awkward distance. She told me that I was the first person to "have the balls" to tell her that. She said that other people just assume she's a "bitch" (I can say these things because they're quotes.. not my words.. right? ...right?) because of it. I said things, she laughed a cartoon laugh (too classic - reminds me of cartoons/fake laugh/etc), we bonded. It was a nice moment.

4 comments:

Michael LaRoy said...

girls, eh? You can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. ...Err, I mean live without 'em.

ChrisTopher said...

I'm glad you had a nice bonding moment!!
That whole box making thing reminds me of last year when I worked at Cedar Rim Nusery...good times, good times....

One Wink at a Time said...

Do you have/accept email? Just ran across you and had a couple of curiosities to ask you about. I like how you write and the way you look at things...

raych said...

remember that time you 'had the balls...'?
let me recount the situation.

raych: frustrated about, probably work, says a few words that would make a sailor cringe.
alan: 'so how do you get around the scripture where it talks about letting nothing unwholesome come out of your mouth?'
raych: chuckles guiltily. 'mostly i rationalize it away, or ignore it, or...' fades into uneasy mumbles.